Nightshade: A SimLit | Chapter 100: Will You?

In the short time since the picnic, Skylar seemed to be full of surprises when Orion least expected it. Maybe he just hadn't noticed how much she enjoyed spoiling him before, but there was a shift in the way she acted. It was as though she tried to dedicate every free moment of her life to him, always ensuring that they were going places and spending time together, buying him thoughtful gifts and staying up for hours at night talking on the phone with him until she fell asleep, like she wanted his presence there beside of her. She was different, and albeit a good different, he couldn't wrap his mind around the reason why. 

Today she displayed what was quite possibly her most peculiar behavior yet. 

For the past few days, he hadn't heard from her as much as what recently became the norm. A busier work schedule was her explanation, and yesterday evening, she finally called to invite him out on a date to their favorite restaurant -- a pretty typical outing for the two of them, and so tonight, they were sitting at a table and enjoying a meal as though nothing suspicious was ever going on.


Except the restaurant itself seemed suspicious. Normally this time of night it would be full of people and he'd need his disguise form, but the entire place was empty aside from the two of them and staff. As they ate, he questioned her about it and she simply explained she'd made private reservations -- an unusually fancy, but thoughtful, choice. The question that continued to nag at him was why she bothered to be so elaborate and do so, but they say curiosity killed the cat, so he decided not to pester her too much about it and focus on enjoying their date... at least for the most part. 

"Skylar," Orion began after their conversation went quiet for a few moments, "I was wondering... um... you've been acting kind of strange lately. Especially the last few days. Is something going on?"

"Strange?" Skylar laughed, but her expression was that of a deer caught in headlights. "What makes you think that? I've been perfectly normal. Everything's great."

He raised an eyebrow and observed her nervousness for a moment, then sighed and returned to a smile. "Okay, if you say so... but you're a really bad liar. I think you're up to something. What, I don't know, but something."


"When did you become so perceptive?" She rested her chin on her hands. "Okay, I confess. I've been up to something. I've been planning out this date for a while. Do you know why?" 

He paused, considering it. "...because you really like the food here?"

"No, silly," Skylar chuckled. "Today... two years ago, we came here together for the first time. The day that you stopped our coworkers from harassing me, remember?" 

Orion's eyes lit up in delight. "Wait, you're right, that was today... I can't believe you remembered."

"How could I not? That day..." She paused and averted her gaze shyly. "...It was the first time that I looked at you and saw you as someone I truly cared about and trusted. A friend. Today is really special to me. I get that it isn't technically the anniversary of our romantic relationship, but... it feels like the anniversary of us."


"The anniversary of us... I agree." Meeting her gaze, he smiled gently at her. "You're the sweetest. I really appreciate you planning all of this out for me... you didn't have to." 

She sighed. "Every time I do something nice for you, you're always insisting I don't have to. But I think I do have to. Who doesn't do things for their significant other? I enjoy doing things for you, I promise."

"...some people don't," Orion hesitantly responded. "I know you like doing things for me, but... I don't know. I'm just not used to so much attention... not that it's a bad thing."

"I know she made you feel that way," Skylar cautiously spoke, "but I don't want you to ever have to feel the way with me that you felt with her."

His smile widened. "I know that, I guess my old habits of feeling like I'm not good enough are just... hard to break. But I'm getting better every day. If it weren't for you, I don't know if I'd have made as much progress as I have with my recovery. Sometimes, I think you must be my guardian angel... when I needed you most, you came." 


"Your guardian angel?" She chuckled warmly. The flames on the candles danced, reflecting a sparkle in her eyes. "Sweetheart... I'm not an angel. I think the angelic one is you."

There was a clear seriousness in his statement. "No, really... you were a saving grace for me. I don't think you realize just how much you've done... and how much better you made my life." 

"Your only saving grace was yourself." Her tone turned equally as serious but her smile stayed. "You've been through so much... like a phoenix, you burned in the fire and rose from the ashes, and the only reason that you were capable of that transformation is that you're so strong."

"Even if you're right... it doesn't change how much I needed you in my life, or how much I still do," he said.

"I needed you too, you know. I think we both needed something, and it brought us to each other," Skylar said. "You were the star that I needed to complete my sky." 


His face flushed pink at her sentiment. "You're just getting sappy now..."

"Well, you do it all the time... maybe it's my turn to be the sappy one."

They both laughed, and for the first time during their date their conversation fell silent, which made her grow increasingly nervous. Her hands fidgeted idly and she felt a lump rising in her throat as the reality sank in that this was the right moment. It was now or never...

"By the way, there's... something important I wanted to talk to you about." 


"Don't worry, it isn't anything bad," she quickly added when his expression turned to concern. "It's just, um... these past two years that we've known each other have been the best time of my life. I've been so lucky to have the opportunity to get to know you, as a colleague, friend and... something more. You're an amazing person."

"I feel the same way about you," Orion replied, "but--"

"Wait, let me finish," she interrupted. "Lately, I've been thinking a lot about something. I don't know if this is something I should ask, or if it's something you'd want, but... I really wanted to try anyway." She stood from her seat slowly and stepped away from the table, turning to face him with something clutched behind her back. "S-So I guess... I want to ask you..."


He gasped softly as she dropped to one knee and revealed a box, the lid already popped open to show off the ring inside of it. 

"Orion... will you marry me?"

Time seemed to stop along with his heart. He waited for a sense of dread or fear, but it didn't come; instead, far more positive feelings started to swell inside of him. He had spent so long terrified of this, associating marriage with being trapped inside of neverending torment, reminded only of Tiffany if he even so much as thought of the word... yet with Skylar, it didn't seem so scary anymore. He stood up, opened his mouth to break the silence, to say anything, but no words came. 


"It's okay if you can't do this right now... or ever." Skylar smiled up at him reassuringly. "I don't want you to feel like there's any pressure. I'll take no for an answer, and even if you just need some time to think about it, that's okay too. But... I really do love you, more than anything. It would make me so happy to spend the rest of our lives together like this... but only if that's what you want." 


When she reached out to take his hand gently in hers, tears pricked at the corners of his eyes. "S-Skylar..." His voice trembled. "I..."

"Please don't cry," she said quietly. "If this upset you, I'm really sorry. I-I swear that my intentions are completely pure. I'm not asking for permission to hurt you like you've been hurt before... I'm asking for just one chance to show you what true love is. And I promise I will do my best to never let you down. I love you so much..."


"...yes," he finally said. 

Skylar was dumbfounded. Out of all the responses she had frankly expected, it wasn't this. "...You mean... yes as in...?"

"Yes, I'll marry you!" Orion's face lit up despite the tears running down his cheeks. 

She stared up at him in shock, but then tears formed in her own eyes. "Y-You-- I- really? You really want to?"


 Orion leaned down until their lips were only inches apart. "I really do... I love you, Skylar. And I'm so, so happy..."

She reached out to pull him closer to her, beaming up at him. "You have no idea how happy you just made me, and how happy you make me every single day... I-I don't know what to say..."

"You don't need to say anything," he said, brushing their lips together. 

Skylar smiled wider and closed her eyes, pulling him into an enthusiastic kiss. He said yes, and she couldn't believe it. 

Comments